Everyone Can Read

Joey Glynn, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Something new is coming to Portsmouth High School. If you love a good book, then you’ll love this new way to incorporate reading at school. Here at PHS, honors English courses assign students  summer reading for break, with an assignment due when they return. But, thanks to a new program at PHS, this is an option for all students, not just in honors courses. This “book club” will allow every student here at PHS to read a fun summer book alongside a PHS faculty member.

Portsmouth English teacher, Ms. Laura Lavallee, along the rest of the English department, will be involved in getting this program started. Students will choose their own book in May and will have their first group task when they return from summer break. Students in all grades will be involved, including incoming freshmen.

“I think it’s very important for the students to develop this culture” said Ms. LaVallee, as a primary creator for the program, “I want it to be for the students’ pleasure.”

The employees at the local libraries, along with River Run book store, will be helping alongside the English department at the high school. The people involved are very excited to get this started because it has never really been available to students that are not involved in honors courses.

Ms. LaVallee added, “Hopefully the students love their chosen book and will soon start a new culture of reading here at PHS.”

Portsmouth Athletic Department secretary, Ms. Karen Conway, said, “I think that it’s a really good idea because there are so many books out there and this is a great way for everyone to share their favorite books.”

Current Portsmouth Junior, Oliver Allen said, “It is a good option for kids that are not in AP classes but still want to be able to share their passion for reading without having to commit to an advanced class.” Oliver added, “I think it will create a positive reading atmosphere and it keeps kids on their toes during the summer.”

Want to be a part of this new reading community? If you have any questions, ask Ms. LaVallee or another teacher in the English department.