Boy’s Lacrosse Eager for Division II Title

Matt Parker

Matt Parker Photos

Alex Tavares, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Boy’s lacrosse at Portsmouth High School is in high hopes for a division II state title in the 2017 season. The Clippers had an impressive 2016 year, finishing 13-3 and having their season ended by Hollis-Brookline in the semi-final game, with a 7-6 loss. Losing only four starting seniors, John Franks, Luke Labroce, Jack Alden, and Jamie Meade, the team is set on keeping their eyes on the prize.

This year’s team is looking to be possibly more talented than the previous, all starting with the goalie and Southern New Hampshire University commit, Oscar Kozikowski. Also, senior, Jacey Chavez, at midfielder and returning starters junior, Zadoc White, junior, Oliver Allen, sophomore, Caleb Begley, and sophomore, Cole Brams. “Coming into this year we all know it’s going to be tough without the stars we had last year,” Chavez said on the season, “The whole team has the same goals of getting better every day and putting up a banner in the gym for boys lacrosse.” Looking at the schedule, it will be no easy task to do so.

Every game will be a battle for the Clippers with many big games this season. On April 24, the Clippers will square off at home against Hollis-Brookline in a last year final-four rematch. Another date to save is April 28, where the Clippers will take on the 2016 state champion, Derryfield. Derryfield, being an academy, can recruit students and players, making them a powerhouse year after year. Another team to watch for is Dover, who this year dropped from division one into division two. Souhegan and Goffstown are also teams that could be trouble for the Clippers.

The Clippers are in the midst of their pre-season now, and are looking to be a contender for this year’s tournament in June. We will have to wait and see just how far our Portsmouth Boy’s Lacrosse team can make it this year. Go Clippers!