Cheerleading in the Olympics

Emma Cheney, Paperclip Staff/Writer

The International Olympic Committee voted on new sports to be added intp the Olympics. One of the most talked about choices was cheerleading. As of right now, the committee has voted to have Cheerleading as an Olympic sport. The IOC then has 3 years, called a  recognition period, to decide if they want to keep it in.

The International Cheer Union will get 25,000 dollars per year and will also be able to apply for more grants to help promote the sport in the Olympics. For the next couple years, the group will work to prove cheerleading is in fact popular and competitive worldwide. 

“Anything that has physical activity should be a sport” said Portsmouth High student Zack Michaud, when asked if cheerleading is a sport. “If they already have to do flips and stuff like that, it’s obviously athletic.”

When further PHS students were asked about it though, they had varied opinions to share. “I think it’s a sport, but it shouldn’t be in the Olympics” Brianna Hernandez stated.  

Cheerleading won’t be at the 2020 Olympics because the preparations are already underway, but if the ICU continues to prove it should be in the Olympics, than cheerleading will be in the 2024 Olympics. Some of the other sports being considered include surfing, skateboarding, and Muay Thai, which are all also in the recognition period.