Logic’s “1-800-273-8255” Goes Double Platinum

Kareem Abdelsadek, Paperclip Staff/Writer

Logic, Alessia Cara, and Khalid’s Single “1-800-273-8255” has been certified double platinum in the U.S.   The song has blown up in the past month after it was performed live at the VMAs on August 27, 2017.   “1-800-273-8255” might seem like a weird, hard to remember title for a song if you are unaware of what that phone number is or what the song’s about.  

The title of the song is actually the number for the suicide hotline.   Originally released April 28, 2017 as his 3rd single before his 3rd studio album “Everybody”, the suicide prevention song is sung through the perspective of a person who is ready to commit suicide and is talking to someone on the suicide hotline.

The hit song has had an enormous impact on fans worldwide.   After Logic’s performance at the VMAs calls to the hotline spiked 50%.  Logic took to twitter a few days before releasing the song to comment on why he made it. “Over the years so many of you guys have told me that my music has helped you through so many tough times”  “Many of you have told me it’s even saved your life. I’m beyond humbled. But I felt I haven’t done enough”.

The music video has been praised as much as the song as it portrays something so many people can relate to and empathize.  The music video for 1-800-273-8255 follows a gay black high school student growing up in America.  In the video it shows him almost  kill himself from being misunderstood.  

Logic said in an interview at the VMAs “I think when I created the song it was about everybody, but when I made the video I had to ask myself, you know, who are some of the people who struggle most, I think black people in America, gay people in America, and young people in America.  So I said let’s make it about a strong black high school student who is going through hell…”.    Logic and Alessia Cara have since performed the hit on Ellen and it  is still currently number 4 on billboard’s hot 100.

“1-800-273-8255” Song art