Vera Haus: The Dedicated Business Teacher and Entrepreneur Empowering the Next Generation of Students

Brianna Clarke, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Not only has Vera Haus been happily married for 35 years, she does her own manicures, and has owned her own businesses. She is also Portsmouth High School’s business teacher. 

She founded the Business Pathways Program at PHS which has grown from seven students in the 2008-2009 school year to currently over 100 students. There are several classes you can take in the Business Pathways program such as: Introduction to Business, Marketing and Sales, Accounting I and II, and Entrepreneurship. 

Haus says that her students inspire her most. She enjoys teaching students about business as she feels it touches every part of life. “Every student is unique and I enjoy learning what makes each one of you so remarkable,” she says. 

Not only do her students inspire her, she also has a big impact on her students. “She includes a warm soulful extravagant teaching style in her everyday methods that enlighten the room and make everyone feel at home,” says Ollie Olsen, a PHS junior. 

She hopes that the outcome of the business program will have students leaving with more confidence and knowledge on business revenues and expenses and how to market their service or product. 

“I learn fundamental life skills,financial skills, and basic life skills that are important to know,” says Taylor Loomis, a PHS junior. Haus hopes that students will leave the program beginning to think about how they can make a difference in the world and use business to create products that will improve our world. 

Before working at Portsmouth Haus earned her Associates Degree in Legal Studies, then earned her Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, and graduated with her Juris Doctorate in 1987 from New England School of Law in Boston. Before attending New England School of Law she worked for her family’s funeral home.

After attending New England School of Law she worked for KPMG reviewing accounting records of businesses, then went on to run her own law office “Haus Law Office” doing business law. While owning her law office she taught at McIntosh College teaching Accounting, Business, and Legal classes. While she was at McIntosh College she worked as a Professor, Department Head and Academic Dean. 

Her advice to students is to “study hard and work hard at what interests you! You can create a satisfying and fulfilling life!”