Pro/Con: Should there be a ban on trucks on Banfield Road?

Seth A. Rice, Paperclip Staff/Writer

A new law is under review in Portsmouth to ban trucks on Banfield Rd. The road runs parallel to Lafayette Rd, which is the main road used to get across from Portsmouth to other areas of the Seacoast. Trucks who are caught using the road will be fined $100.

Pro: Roads will be safer

Banfield is a residential road. The road is also narrow without any sidewalks. Banning large vehicles would make the roads safer. Less major accidents would happen.

Pro: Reduce traffic

Due to fewer trucks on the road, there will be a lot less traffic. Cars can use the road to get places faster and avoid traffic lights. The road can be used to get to school faster for certain students from Greenland and east Portsmouth. Locals will have an easier time getting around town.

Con: More cars will speed

With less traffic on the roads, more cars will speed. The road is long and straight, but because it is a residential area, the speed limit is set to 30 mph. Lots of cars go much faster on these roads when there is no traffic, especially if they are in a hurry.

Con: More cops will have to monitor road

Due to the decrease in traffic, cars will use the road a lot more. There will be lots of people speeding. In order to keep the roads safe, cops will have to monitor the roads more frequently. Shon Parham, a student at Portsmouth High School, said, “The new ban will decrease the traffic, but I think it will make the roads even more dangerous and put more work on the cops to keep it safe.”