A Successful Unified Basketball Season

A Successful Unified Basketball Season

Olivia Cray, Paperclip Writer/Contributor

The Portsmouth High School unified sports program is a great alternative for kids that do not want to participate in highly competitive sports. Here at the PHS, we have two unified sports: soccer and basketball.

The basketball season has come to a close and the banquet was on Thursday, March 23.

Mr. Rogers, one of the head coaches alongside Coach Beaudoin, answered some questions about the season:

How was the season?

“Our record was 2-6 but we actually had our first win ever here at Stone Gymnasium. Definitely a success.”

What was your favorite part about the season?

“I think that my favorite part was that everybody scored a basket and the amount of partners that were interested in playing. We went from like six or seven the first year to about 20 to 25 this year. The interest in unified sports has gone up incredibly over the last couple of years.”

Do you think there should be more unified sports?

“Yes, we are trying to do volleyball in the springtime maybe next year. It’s a growing phenomenon around the state and definitely here at PHS.”

How do unified sports work?

“Basically  for basketball we have three athletes and two partners that help facilitate the game, so rebounding, passing, dribbling and the athletes do the scoring.”

Coach Rogers added, “Stuff you take for granted like just going up the road with a team or having a sandwich afterwards, these guys never get to do. The fact that we get to go to Exeter and play an away game against another school. The crowds were awesome this year, there was a paint crew. Everyone is really great about it.”

The unified basketball season this year was the most successful yet. A special thanks goes out to our athletes, Destiny, Cassidy, Fiona, Ryan, Ellis, Derek, Lindsay, Alec, Kyle and all of the athletes that dedicated time to help out.