Say Hello to the New Monopoly Tokens

Tisha Ramadhina, PaperClip Staff/Writer

New change is coming to the classic board game, Monopoly. In the beginning of 2017, people from all over the world voted to pick the new candidates of the tokens from a list of 64 options in order to decide which eight tokens will be included. After millions of votes, these three classic tokens won’t pass go again: the thimble, the boot, and the wheelbarrow. We are proudly welcoming a T-rex, a rubber ducky, and a penguin! The cat, the Scottie dog, the top hat, and the battleship will return. The Scottie dog earned the highest vote (212,476 votes), the T-rex earned the second highest (207, 954 votes), and last but not least, the top hat with (167,582 votes). The new tokens will be coming out on August 2017.

In a previous change, the iron was eliminated from the board and replaced by the cat. The most popular token has been the Scottie dog since it was introduced in the 1950s. The new T-rex is now the second most popular token according votes. The next most popular are the top hat, and the racing car, which have been in town since 1930s.

Libby Underwood, a senior at Portsmouth High School, who is a fan of Monopoly said, “I don’t mind the change but I do think they should always keep the ones they originally made the game with. Monopoly is one of the oldest board games and in a lot of families it is tradition to play when everyone is together. I think the great thing is that it’s never changed (the money specifically,) so by changing the tokens I can understand why some people are up in arms. At the same time, I think the new tokens are original and have the capability of being classics.”

We live in a modern era, and it makes sense that voters did not find interest in the thimble anymore, since it represented a household object in the 1930s. The wheelbarrow barely survived first elimination vote, and needless to say, that is not the most popular piece. Lastly, the boot was modeled after the work shoe of the 1930s and this year online voters forced the boot into retirement.