Benefits of Music in School and Life

Aidan Thomas, PaperClip Staff/Writer

What is the first thing you do once you get into your car? For me, I connect to my car’s bluetooth and get the right playlist going and then I put on my seatbelt of course. 

What’s the first thing you do when you are swamped with school work and need to focus? What I do is sit at the table, connect my headphones to my phone, and listen to my music while I start typing.

What’s the first thing you do when you and your team need to get hyped up for a big game against your rival team? The first thing I do is have either me and or one of my teammates connect to the big speaker and play the right songs, preferably “Grace” by 42 Dugg and Lil Baby, to get us prepared for the game. 

Music can help everyone in many different ways. Students should be allowed to listen to music during tests, flex, or doing our homework. We should be allowed to wear our headphones in school without them getting taken away. Personally, I have my headphones in every day and it helps me get my work done when I need to focus. 

Pinecrest Academy states that according to a five-year study in Texas, students who studied with music scored an average of 158.4 points higher on the SAT than students who did not use music to help study. 

Another reason I think music is the best tool is because of the improvements it has on mental health. Listening or even making music increases the blood flow to different brain regions that can control your emotions. 

Neuroscientist Kiminobu Sugaya and famous violinist Ayako Yonetani, also two UCF professors, have been teaching one of UCF’s most popular classes “Music and the Brain”. 

One of their studies is how people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s react positively to music. Sugaya said, “Usually in the late stages of Alzheimer’s patients are unresponsive, but once you give them headphones and play their favorite song their faces light up.” The brain “lighting up” can be noticed on MRI’s. This is just a small percent of how music can be so unique and how it can help.