Flex Rumors Put to Rest

Flex Rumors Put to Rest

Victoria Gobbi, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Flex block is a popular concept in high schools that allows students to have some degree of control over their own education. Flex block typically involves a period of time during the school day when students are given the opportunity to choose how they spend their time.

Over the past several years there have been rumors about flex at Portsmouth High School. Some rumors were: upperclassmen would not be allowed to leave or perhaps flex wouldn’t exist at all, or that the flex time is going to be changed. Those rumors can now be put to rest. 

According to Jaclyn Chisholm, a teacher and administrator who shares responsibility for flex, no modifications are currently being implemented for the coming school year. “[Flex] gives [students] time during the day to take a deep breath, interact with children they don’t often get to, and engage in enrichment activities,” says Chisholm. 

Should seniors be required to flex? Chisholm doesn’t think seniors should be required to have a flex block. She suggests perhaps an advisory every Monday could assist, and “kids can obtain more guidance from their professors”.

Senior Sadie Alati says, “flex is a time for students to get one on one time with their teachers, build connections, and get the extra help they need.”

There are many potential benefits to a flex block system. For one, it can allow students to better customize their learning experience to meet their individual needs and interests. Students who are struggling in a particular subject can use flex block time to get extra help from a teacher. 

Abby Sargent, a PHS junior, says, “we could add some enrichment activities and field trips for students who maintain passing grades and are all caught up during their flex time. This would excite students and can be something for them to look forward to at the end of the day.”