The Class Of 2026 Offers Advice To The Incoming Ninth Graders

Lillianna Hebert & Gianna Hebert, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Starting high school can be an exciting and overwhelming experience. It’s a time of new beginnings, opportunities, and challenges.  

As the school year slowly approaches the end, the class of 2026 has reflected on what they wish they knew before entering Portsmouth High School.

Sabina Bower – grade 9: 

“I wish I knew the importance of time management. If you have a project due in a week, don’t do it the night before. Go out of your comfort zone to say hi to people.. meeting lots of people and having a good inner circle helps keep you happy and supported.” 

Anamaria Buchanan – grade 9: 

“It isn’t really that big and scary, it’s more of a switch. High school is more of a higher level of middle school. It’s nothing to be afraid of or scared of because it’s just something different.” 

Adelaide Faust Lane – grade 9: 

“Organization is very important for keeping on top of your schoolwork. It’s important to prioritize doing well in school, but don’t stress to the point of mental exhaustion.”

Emily Graham – grade 9: 

“Try not to walk slowly in the halls. It is very frustrating to walk behind someone at a slow pace when it can take a while to get to your class. Also, watch the time carefully! If you don’t manage your time correctly, you have a high chance of being late.” 

Evan Erickson – grade 9: 

Learn how to organize yourself when it comes to schoolwork. Make sure you stay on top of all your assignments and it will be much easier to keep your grades up.” 

Anonymous: 

“I wish I knew how easy it is. You shouldn’t be nervous.”

“If you try your best and work hard things will be less stressful.”

“Be yourself, don’t let people tell you how to act and think.”

Although your first year of high school is challenging with navigating the school and coming up with new work habits, it’s important that you stay positive and remind yourself that you are capable of adapting to new situations. If you’re feeling nervous, talking to your guidance counselor can be helpful. 

Mrs. Wolf – 2027 Guidance Counselor:

“Communicate and ask for help. Talk to your  teachers if youre having a hard time. Try to stay balanced. Don’t take too many difficult courses, you don’t need to take everything right away.” 

Mrs. Donavan – 2026 Guidance Counselor:

“Come in with an open mind. Try new things; clubs, sports, and activities. Be open to meeting new people. Don’t be afraid to ask for help whether it’s from your teachers or your guidance counselor.” 

It takes time to adjust to a new change in life. With patience, positivity, and an open mind, you can make the most of your high school experience. Best of luck to the incoming PHS Students!

Source: Information taken from survey distributed to PHS students