Market Square Protests

Olivia Cray, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Every Sunday, since November’s election, “Civil Rights Sunday,” is celebrated  in Market Square just in front of the North Church. About 70 people join together to protect civil rights and protest Trump’s policies. “People are asked to bring positivity and a good attitude,” says SeacoastOnline.

A collection of students, a faculty member, and a local worker in a downtown surf shop, have been asked to share their thoughts on protesting in general and Black Lives Matter.

One student Maeve Riley, a sophomore at Portsmouth High School, said that people have the right to protest but “every week is a little excessive.”

Another student, Milena Nogueira a Freshman at PHS, said that Black Lives Matter is a good cause “because there is a lot of white privilege in America and something has to be done.”

The third and final student, Jake Teti, Senior, had a very similar response.   “I think it’s okay as long as it doesn’t get out of control like some of the Trump rallies, but I feel like you should stand up for something you believe in.” 

Dave Drukker, an English teacher here at Portsmouth High School believes that protesting is “An effective method of fomenting change.”

Summer Sessions Surf Shop (off of Congress Street) worker Ryan said in response to the protests: “I mean I think it’s good that people are expressing their right to protest and they should have the right to do that. It’s a good thing.” He added, “I think we have got to keep moving forward and pushing it, I feel like  everyone deserves equal rights for sure. When you don’t see that in society it’s definitely upsetting. Protesting is good and all but I don’t see how far it really gets you. I get it and it’s making a statement and it’s making an impact but I think there needs to be something else. Some other step in the whole thing that pushes everything forward rather than just going to the same spot every Sunday.”

In a small, not very diverse community like Portsmouth most people would agree with the Civil Rights Protest. The protests are a little repetitive and don’t seem to be going anywhere, but people are doing their best to stand up for what they believe in. The protests are every Sunday in Market Square. If you believe in the cause, do not be afraid to attend one of these powerful moments.