Portsmouth High School Recognizes 18 College Commits

Ellie Seefried, PaperClip Staff/Writer

This year Portsmouth High School has 18 student-athletes committing to college to continue their athletic careers 

next year or the following year. Of the 18 commits, there are 5 juniors and 13 seniors.

Carmine Zingariello (12) of Portsmouth, NH will attend Nichols College for baseball in the fall of 2022. 

Throughout his high school career, Zingariello’s favorite memory has been “making a big comeback against Winnacunnet to win in the last inning.” Looking ahead to college he is most excited about “being able to play teams from around the country and possibly playing against some of my former teammates”

Justin Blumenthal (12) of Portsmouth, NH will attend the University of Massachusetts Amherst for baseball in the fall of 2022.

Blumenthal has committed his time to the baseball program for the past four years, and in return, his favorite memory has been “Coming back down 10 runs against Winnacunnet in the last inning and winning the game.” For the next step in his career, he is most excited about “being able to play at a high level and get a good education.”

Max Lalime (12) of Portsmouth, NH will attend Baldwin Wallace University for baseball in the fall of 2022. 

Lalime has played baseball throughout his time at PHS and memory-wise playing 2 sports with his brother has stuck out the most. Thinking toward the next few years at the collegiate level, Lalime is most excited about “playing at the next level and growing as a player.” 

Will Hindle (12) of Rye, NH will attend the University of Rhode island for baseball in the fall of 2022.

Hindle shares that his favorite memory has been “Winning our first baseball playoff game last year at home, and scoring 8 runs in the top of the 7th to beat Winnacunnet 9-8 in the bottom of the 7th.” Looking ahead to college he says he is most excited about “playing baseball every day, working harder to become better, being surrounded by many people who share the same dreams as me, and being challenged every day by the competition and my teammates.”

Keghan Myers (12) of Portsmouth, NH, will attend Ithaca College for lacrosse in the fall of 2022. 

Myers who has been a member of the program throughout his time PHS  (and earlier!) says his favorite memory has been “Winning a high school lacrosse state championship with the team I’ve been playing with since elementary school.” For the future, he says he is most excited for “the higher level of competition will be more fast-paced and exciting to be a part of.”

Colin Marshall (12) of Greenland, NH will attend Husson University for baseball in the fall of 2022

While being a part of the program for his high school career, Marshall’s favorite memories come from the “baseball locker room after wins.”  While looking to play at the next level, Marshall is most excited because “it allows me to play baseball for as long as I can. Good competition. Get to meet new people.” 

Jackson Ragonese (12) of Portsmouth, NH will attend Wheaton College for soccer in the fall of 2022. 

Ragonese, who played club soccer, recalls his favorite memory as “going to England with my team.” Ragonese shared that he is most excited about “hopefully making history with the school’s program.”

Domenic Maldari (12) of Portsmouth, NH will attend Endicott College for lacrosse in the fall of 2022.

Maldari who has played lacrosse all of high school shared his favorite memory and that was “winning the first-ever state championship in the boy’s lacrosse program history.” As for the future in college, he is most excited about “continuing to play and compete at a new higher level.”

Max Brown (12) of Portsmouth, NH will attend St. Lawrence University for swimming in the fall of 2022.

Brown recalls memories from other sports he participated in and his favorite has been “winning the championship in lacrosse.” For collegiate swimming, he is most excited about “being a part of the team and competing.”

Julia Roelofs (12) of Rye, NH will attend Bates College for lacrosse in the fall of 2022. 

Roelofs has spent her PHS career within the lacrosse program and her favorite memory has been “winning the championship freshman year with my sister.” For the next part of her lacrosse career, she is most excited “to be in the NESCAC league where every game is very competitive and to be on a team with my sister again.”

Mia Smith (12) of  Newington, NH will attend Endicott College for lacrosse in the fall of 2022.

Smith has many memorable moments but she says “winning championships, spaghetti dinners, and making new friends” have stuck out the most. Smith is excited for “more physical play and a faster game” at the next level. 

Kellsie Flint (12) of Rye, NH will attend the University of Hartford for soccer in the fall of 2022.

Flint shares her favorite memory as “beating Exeter in the soccer playoffs in 2021. This was the first time we had won against them during my four years in high school.” When asked about what she is most excited about for college she says “I am very excited to be challenged and develop my skills. Playing at a high level against experienced players will make me a better athlete. I am looking forward to connecting with my team and joining their culture.” 

Alexis Dumont (12) of Newington, NH will attend Denison University for field hockey in the fall of 2022. 

Participating in PHS field hockey for her high school career Dumont’s most memorable moment was “winning the state championship for the first time in thirty years” and is most excited for college because “throughout all of the high school my varsity team, as well as club teams, changed frequently. I am excited to compete at a higher level for NCAA championships and to work with the same people for the whole year.”

Avery Ruhnke (11) of Portsmouth, NH will attend Loyola University Maryland for lacrosse in the fall of 2023.

After playing lacrosse competitively for the past 10 years Ruhnke’s favorite memory has been winning the lacrosse state championship and when looking forward to college she is most excited about “getting top-level coaching and playing with players that are going to challenge me.”

Sally Collins (11) of Portsmouth, NH will attend the University of Massachusetts Amherst for lacrosse in the fall of 2023.

Lacrosse has brought Collins many memorable moments, but she says “my favorite week of all sports was probably Laxication, but winning the  state championship was super fun and rewarding.” When she heads off to college she is most excited about “getting to stay in the team atmosphere and getting to play lacrosse at the highest level.”

Charlotte Marston (11) of Rye, NH will attend Colgate University for lacrosse in the fall of 2023.

Martson has created various memories through PHS sports, but she says “my favorite PHS sports memory is laxcation, and winning championships. The feeling when you get to ride the bus into town is amazing.” As for anticipation for college, “I am most excited to compete at the next level because I love lacrosse. It will be so fun to get to play with girls from different areas of the country and compete with the best players.”

Sadie Alati (11) of Portsmouth, NH will attend Virginia Commonwealth University for lacrosse in the fall of 2023.

Alati, who still has another season, shares her favorite memory as “winning state champs.” Once she heads to college she is excited about “making new memories.”

Matthew Minckler (11) of Greenland, NH will attend Virginia Tech University for baseball in the fall of 2023.

Minckler, who still has another season of sports, says his favorite memory has been “Friday night basketball games.” As for baseball in college, he is most excited about “being able to continue playing the sport I love and compete against the best players in the country daily.”