PHS Girls Varsity Are Going for the Championship Title

Photo from Instagram (@phsgirlslax)

Adalin Whitcomb, Paper Clip Staff/Writer

After many years in Division 2, winning many championships, and holding five  consecutive season championship titles, the Portsmouth High School Girls Varsity Lacrosse team finally moved up to Division 1 this school year. The diverse team which includes freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, is trying to make their way to the top. 

After the past five seasons, the team was hoping to come into this season proving that they are Division 1 material and can compete with the top teams in the Seacoast. Over this season, the team has built chemistry and are truly working together to succeed. The team is currently 16-2.

Annie Parker, a D1 Syracuse commit stated, “We were really excited and have been wanting to move up for a while, because we wanted better competition to get better, and we would get that in a better division”. The girls have been preparing for playoffs with the hopes of making it to the state championship to compete against the best in the division.

On Thursday, June 1, the PHS girls lacrosse team won their semi-quarter final game against Souhegan, 19-4. They advance to the semi-final game this Saturday, June 3, at the Bill Ball Stadium at Exeter High School at 5 p.m. 

This season they have only lost to Bedford and Newburyport. However, their big win against Bishop Guertin early this season really boosted their confidence, and proved  that they have what it takes in Division 1. 

“The positive atmosphere and great chemistry this year has really helped,” said senior captain and Loyola University commit Avery Ruhnke. 

The goal for playoffs is to continue the current win streak for the girls. “Our plan is to put everything out on the field and to work as hard as we can. We want to play in the big games, play in the present, and appreciate how far we have come. It’s a privilege to play in these games, so we are going to play as hard as we can to get to the championship,” said Parker.

If the winning streak continues, the girls will play Bishop Guertin in the semi-finals on June 3rd at Bill Ball Stadium. It would be a very competitive game since Portsmouth is the two seed and Bishop Guertin the three seed. If the girls get the big win, they will move on to play the one seed Bedford on June 6th at Bill Ball Stadium. 

The team wants to leave a legacy by winning the championship. “We want everyone at Portsmouth to be proud and leave a good thing behind for those that watch us but also will play for us in future years,” said Runkhe.