Finals Week Reminders and Tips

Kayla Buckley, PHS Paper Clip Staff/Writer

Oh, finals week. The week that every high school student dreads. It’s the week of stress, and it’s completely normal to feel a bit overwhelmed at times. A lot of students don’t know how to study, and everyone has different opinions on how a final should be formatted: multiple choice, true or false, fill in the blank, etc. Many students have different tips to help prevent distractions.

“While studying for exams, phones are usually a pretty big distraction,” Tatiana Kuchtey, a sophomore at Portsmouth High School, said, “and it helps to completely shut your phone off and put it somewhere far away from you.”

Other tips to help with studying:

1. Take breaks

This is pretty important to do, considering a lot of people have a hard time studying. After hours of studying, a lot of people tend to get sick of it.  Just take a little break if you feel overwhelmed.

1.   Rewrite your notes

Doing this takes a little bit of time and effort, but it actually really does help. Personally, I like my notes looking organized and somewhat colorful. No one likes boring notes. When I rewrite my notes, I organize it in a certain way and with certain colors to help memorize it better.

1.   SLEEP!

A lot of students pull all-nighters to study for finals. Getting sleep is probably a key factor to finals week. We all need sleep, and it’s crucial to get some sleep before finals.

1.   Start looking over your notes earlier

It’s pretty easy to procrastinate when studying and looking over notes sooner rather than later. Even just for five minutes every night a week before the final, it can really help make an impact on memorizing your notes.