The PaperClip

New Year, New You?

Saiya Relinski, PaperClip Staff/Writer

It’s barely been two weeks into the new year, and you’ve already forgotten about your New Year’s resolutions. Or, perhaps you have yet to even start them. Why is this? Why is it so gosh darn hard to stick to your resolutions you made before midnight on New Years Eve. Well, you’re not alone.

Statistics show that only 8% of resolutions made are followed through by their makers. It’s very easy for anyone to make a resolution or set goals for the new year, but even easier to forget about them or not follow through. There are many factors that lead people to believe that the new year will be better for them than last year. There’s just one thing to consider..

If you set your goals to high, or set potentially unreasonable goals, then they could ultimately end in failure in the first few weeks or even days trying it out. You don’t want to start off the new year with a failed attempt, do you? Of course not! You want to succeed and feel accomplished. Local gym member, Christian says, “Set reasonable goals you know you can handle, there’s no need to set outrageous goals only to impress people by saying you’re going to do it.” He also said “New Year’s resolutions don’t have to be anything new, they can be a goal you’ve already been working on and you believe this will be the year you accomplish it”

Setting goals that are reasonable is a good way to start off the new year right, and it’s going to feel so much sweeter when these goals can be checked off your list.