The President and Impeachment

Are Americans aware of the impeachment process?

Matt Leger, PaperClip Staff/Writer

“I am not really sure what the first step is.” Like many others, Portsmouth High School senior, Jack Stevens, is unaware of the impeachment process. Amidst the tenure of the most controversial president in United States history, many anti-Trump citizens have been calling for impeachment. In the history of our democracy, only three presidents – Andrew Johnson, Bill Clinton, and Richard Nixon – have been subjected to impeachment proceedings.

However, with many loosely tossing around the term “impeachment,” few know the process. The Constitution permits Congress to remove presidents before their term is up if enough lawmakers vote to say the president has committed a crime within the likes of, “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.”

How does this relate to our president? Democrats assert that Trump is obstructing justice by dismissing the top law enforcer, James Comey, in May. It happens that Comey, the head of the Central Intelligence Agency, or the CIA, was leading an investigation into Trump’s affairs in Russia. As well as obstruction of justice, Trump has consistently undermined two of our country’s most important institutions: the court and the press.

On December 6, 2017, democratic lawmakers brought Trump’s impeachment to the table in the House. The vote to sideline the impeachment resolution passed: in a 364-58 margin. This isn’t likely to happen anytime soon, due to the fact that republicans control both the house and the senate; however, impeachment may be on the distant horizon, and there’s no telling exactly when it may happen.