New Season, New Opponents?

New for the upcoming 2018 athletic season, some teams are making a change in their division.

Annabel Talbot, PhsPaperClip Staff/Writer

Currently, the only sport at Portsmouth High School that is in D1 is the football team. Although the teams are tougher and harder to beat in the number one division, PHS teams are capable of advancing.

After interviewing Mr. Rus Wilson, the athletic director of Portsmouth High School, the feedback turned out to be helpful.

Q:  What teams are moving up to division one next year?

He responded with, “Boys and girls soccer, baseball and softball, basketball girls and boys, volleyball and football will stay in D1.”

These changes are going to challenge the sports team focus on teamwork, skill level, and rank. Next year the teams are going to be versing Bishop Guertin, Bedford and Trinity, compared to who they face now, St. Thomas Aquinas, Oyster River, etc.

Q: Why?

Mr. Wilson replied with assurance, “They moved the number. We have about 1,078 students here now and to be in division one the number of students required use to be 1,200 and we weren’t at that number yet. This year they moved the number down to 900. Now a lot of our sports teams are moving up to D1.”

There are sixteen sports between both boys and girls that will hold their place in division II for the upcoming seasons and will continue on playing to the best of their abilities and hopefully beat out the other teams. The 2018 sport season is coming fast and the advent of this is anxiously awaiting PHS. Good luck to all of the teams in the upcoming season!