What’s New for Spirit Week 2017

Portsmouth High School’s spirit week is the week of Monday the 16th to Friday the 20th.

Seniors Haley Hess and Grace Griffin dressing in school colors for the pep-rally last year

Marisa Frizzle, PaperClip Staff/Writer

This year there have been a few changes to the dress up themes. In the years past, common days were: twin day, clash day, and P.J day. Some days are always included, like class colors day, and every year at the pep-rally on Friday, school colors day: maroon, white, and gold.

Each grade’s class council chooses a theme every year and this year the councils decided to do something different. The new days this year are denim day, and America day. Senior class council president, Greta Ferdinand, says that the seniors this year choose denim day. The other days for the week are throwback day, which the school has done before, and of course the regulars: class colors and PHS colors.

This year, Portsmouth sold “TR18E” shirts for the seniors, class of 2018 to wear to the pep-rally. Class council picks a word every year that includes their year of graduation. For example, 2016’s word was reign, written as “RE16N.” The seniors always wear all black for the Friday of the pep-rally so class council decided to make these shirts so the seniors could wear something that represents and unifies the class.

The sales and marketing team are setting up a “cosmetology” table in the Old Foyer for America day and the Friday of the pep-rally. They will be selling clipper flash-tattoos, face paints and colored hair sprays, all costing $5 each.

Some students are excited about the different days this year but others are unsure about them. Senior, Peighton Winder, said “America day and denim day I’m not 100% excited about just because I don’t want to have to go out and buy a bunch of stuff for denim day… and America day, I don’t really know what I’m going to do for that.” A few have said they wish twin day was still happening.

Many students look forward to spirit week and the extra fun it brings.

“being able to see everyone in their goofy outfits and seeing a really creative side to them.”

— Senior, Audrey Walsh, said that what she likes most about spirit week.

Junior, Holden Keene, said he’s looking forward to seeing “the craziest stuff that people have in their closet.”