Benefit Concert Raises Millions For Manchester Bombing Victims

Karis Hakala, Paperclip Staff/Writer

On June 4, 2017 a benefit concert was held by Ariana Grande and other artists to help support the ones affected by the attack which took place on May 22. The concert was located at Emirates Old Trafford, just down the street from where the bomb had gone off just a couple weeks before.

A night that was supposed to be filled with singing, laughter, and happiness, ended in terror for many. On May 22nd after Ariana Grande finished her show and fans started leaving the venue, a suicide bomber detonated a bomb killing innocent concertgoers. This tragic and disturbing news shook the world quickly. But soon after, Ariana brought everyone together to raise money for those affected. Portsmouth High School students weighed in with their reactions to the bombing. Freshman Tucker Lloyd said,” I was shocked. I was completely shocked that someone had targeted a center of joy. I personally am not a strong fan of Grande but the audacity of the bombing struck me. It is so unforgivable that someone would purposefully injure people but to do so to a specific group of young adults and teenagers is sinister. For someone to want to go out of their way and fatally injure children is inhuman and frankly inexcusable.” Another freshman, Frankie Marchesano had a similar response, “ I was horrified not only about the bombing, but at the fact that they targeted and murdered young girls. This concert was supposed to be one of the best nights of their lives, but now it will go down as a traumatizing memory.” I also interviewed Bridget Lenahan, who’s a big fan of Ariana Grande. She said, ” I was very devastated to hear about the Manchester bombing. Attacks like these unfortunately happen all too often now. Ariana Grande is not only my favorite singer, but an inspiration to me and many young people worldwide. It is so sickening to learn that innocent young people were among the many victims. I was at an Ariana Grande concert recently in Manchester, NH, and not once was I worried for my safety, so the thought of an attack at such a peaceful and joyous event is quite scary. Though the attack was absolutely awful, it is incredible to see the world come together after horrendous attacks like these, even in the wake of such monstrosities.”

With stars like Niall Horan, Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Coldplay, and more, the show was bound to be a success, and it was. The tickets went on sale on June 1st at the price of about $55. BBC reported that all of the tickets sold within twenty minutes. Ariana offered everyone from her May 22nd concert to come for free. Along with all the performers on the list, Manchester got a special surprise. Liam Gallagher from the band Oasis sang with Chris Martin from Coldplay. Oasis is a Manchester band who originated in 1991. But these past years him and his brother (and band mate) Noel have been fighting, so Noel was a no show to the benefit concert.

Security was extra tight at the concert. All 50,000 attendees were advised to just leave their bags at home. There was security inside and outside of the venue for extra protection and to make sure all went to plan. The performers still put on an amazing show even though there were terror attacks in London less than 24 hours prior to the benefit concert.

Ariana told the crowed, “Before we go any further I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here today,” she said. “I want to thank you so much for coming together and being so loving and strong and unified. I love you guys so much and I think that the kind of love and unity you’re displaying is the kind of medicine that the world really needs right now.” Other performers projected their heartfelt messages to the audience between performances as well.

In the end, there’s nothing we can do to change the tragedy that happened on May 22nd. We can only decide how we come together to support each other and that’s exactly what Ariana did. So far, the event has raised $12 million dollars for those affected and the victims of the bombing.