Prom Season Perils

A Statement to Students about Safety

Hannah Madden, PaperClip Writer

As the days get warmer and events like prom and graduation loom on the horizon, Portsmouth High school officials are taking action to keep students safe. Drinking and driving, a serious issue all year round, becomes an even greater threat during this time of year. Recently, administration has placed a wrecked car on the school lawn by the anchor. The car will remain there until after prom and graduation, when students are more likely to be involved in incidents with alcohol. Principal Mary Lyons and school safety coordinator Tony O’Connell were involved with organizing the ongoing event. According to Mr. O’Connell, the school has only received positive comments so far.

Other schools in the area often participate in similar displays, and many take it to the next level. At Sanborn Regional High School and Marshwood High School, for example, entire accidents are staged in front of the complete student body. These accidents, usually performed by members of drama clubs, leave no detail out. They are complete with fake injuries, ambulances, police and firefighters, students being removed from cars with the jaws of life, and often are concluded with a mock funeral for a student who was ‘’killed’’ in the crash. These events are staged to shock students into making healthy decisions, and are usually carried out around the time of prom and graduation.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association, car accidents are the leading cause of death for teenagers in the United States. In 2014, 2,270 teens ages 16-19 died in motor vehicle accidents In 2013, 27% of fatal teen motor vehicle accidents occurred in April, May, and June, the peak of prom season, accounting for the deaths of 676 teenagers. The school hopes that the car will provide insight to the consequences that too many teenagers face after deciding to drink and drive. Mr. O’Connell also hopes that the dialogue is open all year, not just during prom season, and that students and faculty will be able to communicate about the dangers of drinking and driving