One Exchange Student’s Outlook on the PHS Experience

Emma Katona, Paper clip journalist

Through the eyes of an exchange student, what might Portsmouth High School look like? Is it big, chaotic, calm, or energetic? There are many questions to be asked.

One of Portsmouth’s own exchange student has traveled all the way from Spain, to live here for the experience. But, was it a good one?

Javier Encabo traveled a long six hour flight from the crowded, loud city of Madrid to the quiet, calm town of Portsmouth. Before leaving, he joined a company who assigned him an American family. Encabo came to America to completely emerge himself in the American lifestyle and work on speaking English. When asked why he didn’t chose to visit the more famous places like New York or Los Angeles, Encabo said wherever you go in America completely depends on where his exchange family lives. Luckily, he was picked to live in the beautiful city of Portsmouth.

Favorite things about Portsmouth

Encabo had a short list of favorites. He said that he loved the beach and people. The beautiful oceans contrast from his regular city life. Because Encabo has lived here for a year, he has built many friendships.

Dislikes

Encabo dislikes the strict time lines in between each block, and during. He said that the classes in Portsmouth are so much longer than Spain’s classes. He’s not used to the hour and a half classes of just sitting and working.

Major differences

Enacbo stated that the major differences were the sources of transportation. Living in Spain, he is very comfortable with using a train or bus to go everywhere. Unlike Madrid, Portsmouth (and the seacoast) is very spread out so almost everyone uses a car. He also said that “everything is so big” here in Portsmouth. All the buildings are abnormally large.

Work Load

Enacbo said that Spain is so much more stressful. Instead of having daily homework, students study for the huge test at the end of high school. This test declares whether a student should go to a University for free. The whole high school experience in Madrid is working up to this test that maps out the futures for the students.

Overall, Javi Enacbo’s experience as a Portsmouth student was quite enjoyable. Although he said lunch food was bad, he still loves the Portsmouth facility. He loves the vast expansion of sports in Portsmouth, instead of the traditional basketball games in Madrid. He even enjoys the smallest things, like parking! Though there are many differences in schooling and culture between America and Spain, there are still many things to be enjoyed.