The Stress of Standardized Testing

Emily McKenna, PaperClip Staff/Writer

The school wide testing day is right around the corner. On April 5th, all juniors will take the SATs. Some people have been preparing for this day since middle school. Sores can affect what colleges students get into, and, in the long run, what kind of job they can get. Anyone wanting to go to college is stressed out about this testing day.

The SATs are a timed test based on things students should have learned during their high school careers. This is so unrealistic and stressful. Everyone in different schools and different states are taking the same level of test. Thinking that students all around the country are learning the exact same thing is very impractical.  

To add on to this idea, students are also stressed if their GPA is good enough for college recognition. It has always been pushed on kids that grades are important, but it was only as deep as “As are good, Fs are bad.” Now these same kids feel like their future depends on these letters and numbers. It is provoking anxiety to an extreme.  

Another thing that Anika Manzoor, writer for Magoosh, has brought to attention is that the SATs don’t have anything to do with how successful students are in college. There is almost no correlations of test scores and college grades.

There is a bit of good news as well.  Some colleges are beginning to realize that everything should not be based on this one test score. They are taking into consideration that there are lots of other ways to see if someone is going to be a good student or not.