Student Council Plans For the Upcoming Year

Terra Merry

Class of 2024 Student Council

Brigid Cadle, Paper Clip Staff/Writer

The Portsmouth High School class of 2024 student council has big plans for next year. 

The class of 2024 got a late start to normal high school life due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Therefore, the class of 2024 student council was robbed of any chance to get a running start on fundraising.

“We definitely got behind due to Covid,” Abby Nersesian, a PHS junior and student council member states.

Nersesian explains that the fundraisers that they have been able to do have been enough to support them through the year and prom, but not much more. 

However, this does not mean that the council plans on coasting through next year. They hope to have an eventful year with fundraising. “We want to be outside and helping the community,” Nersesian commented on the council’s future plans. 

They hope to host events similar to the carwash that the class of 2023 held, or a fundraiser that benefits the community. Nersesian gives the example of a community garden or a campus clean-up. 

At the end of this year, the junior class will be selling flowers during senior graduation, continuing this fundraiser from the past three years. They also plan on selling tumblers for parents, staff, and students. 

Student council has introduced the idea of decorating parking spots and graduation caps to administrators for the upcoming year on behalf of the class. They will also be asking the graduating class for ideas about the senior gift.

Students interested in participating are encouraged to engage in student council events, meetings, and fundraisers. Student council meets at lunch every Monday. Student council elections for the class of 2024 were held on Wednesday, May 31. Results are anticipated to be announced on Monday, June 5.

Falcon Middle School, in Falcon Colorado, explains that the student council helps shape students’ ideas and concerns with the faculty of schools. Student councils should also have conversations on topics that the student body finds important.

“It just comes down to they can’t vote on certain matters,” explains Lauren Isabelle, the faculty advisor for the student council.