How You Can Become Biliterate

Portsmouth High School students now have easy access to receive the seal of biliteracy

Georgia Hodgson, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Portsmouth High School students who are enrolled in a language have the opportunity to take the biliteracy test to become officially biliterate with just a few requirements. 

According to the New Hampshire Department of Education, bilingual students will receive an official diploma seal, an honors cord or medal to wear at graduation, along with a notation on the student’s transcript for future employers or higher educational institutions. Sounds intriguing? With just a few easy steps, students can obtain this accomplishment. 

So what are the first steps? First, New Hampshire students must be in grades 10, 11 or 12 to take the test. They also must meet two academic requirements which includes proficiency in English and must meet an intermediate or high level in a language other than English. 

To show English proficiency, students must receive at least a 480 on the ERW section of the SAT. To determine if world language requirements have been met, students must meet the criteria on any world language approved assessments. PHS uses the Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (APPL). If all requirements have been met, students must fill out an application and pay $20 to be approved. Students can receive financial aid if they are unable to pay the fee. 

Shannon Raymond, a PHS senior, passed the biliteracy test her junior year when she was enrolled in French 5. “I immersed myself in the language. I listened to podcasts and tv shows in French and I did a few practice writing prompts, so I was really mostly prepared for speaking, listening and writing. The others I knew from the class,” explained Raymond. 

In addition to this, Raymond also expressed how she encourages other students to take the test. “It’s not too intensive studying as long as you pay attention in the class you’re taking. And it looks really impressive for colleges and jobs because it shows them you are proficient in another language, which is really hard to fulfill,” she says. 

When asked how the seal has benefited her, she says, “I haven’t used French in a practical setting….however I think it probably helped me during the college admission process, like being able to say I am biliterate.” Raymond was able to utilize her skills from French class and bring it to the next level.

Once students have been approved to take the biliteracy test, it is encouraged that they prepare for each section-speaking, listening, writing and reading comprehension. Practice tests are available on the APPL website for further preparation. 

If students do not pass all sections, they have the opportunity to retake the sections they failed after a 90 day grace period. For example, if a student passes listening and reading, but does not meet the competency for writing and speaking, they are only required to retake the two sections they failed. When scores are handed out, students will be provided with feedback and a rubric that demonstrates their fluency in the language. 

Ms. Martin, a Spanish teacher at PHS, is an excellent resource for students who are interested in receiving the seal of biliteracy. When asked why it is important to get the seal of biliteracy she said, “It is evidence that you have fluency in more than one language.” In addition to this, she said, “We do not turn kids away from taking the test as long as they meet the requirements.” 

If any students are interested in taking the biliteracy test, they can join the google classroom (code is dutu6uo) or contact Ms. Martin for more information.