Winter Sports Recap from the Athletic Office

Press Release from Guest Writer Tom Kozikowski

Tom Kozikowski, PHS Athletic Director

Our Girls Ice Hockey Team (who is a cooperative team with Oyster River HS) played in the Division I State Championship at SNHU Arena in Manchester, losing to Bishop Guertin by a score of 3-2. It was a great game and the Girls Ice Hockey team’s first ever championship appearance. (They’ll be back !) 

Our Varsity Girls Basketball Team finished the regular season as the # 2 seed with a record of 17-1. They played a very close game in the DI Semi-Finals, but lost to Bedford HS by a score of 64-60. The girls team will have 11 returning players next season, so it should be another exciting season for the Clippers! Our JV Girls Basketball went to the finals in their end of season tournament, losing in the championship game. Our girls basketball program also worked with the younger kids in the community all season long and served as excellent role models.  The NH Basketball Coaches Association awarded 7 students to the NHBCA Scholar-Athlete Awards. Head Coach, Tim Hopley was named Division I Coach of the Year.

The Varsity Boys Basketball Team finished the regular season with a record of 10-8 and was the 8th seed in the DI tournament. The Clipper Boys lost to Trinity HS in the DI Quarterfinals. Future looks good with both the JV and Freshman Boys teams placing third in their end of season tournaments. The NH Basketball Coaches Association awarded 7 students to the NHBCA Scholar-Athlete Awards as well.

Our Boys and Girls SwimmingTeams had a great season this year, with the Boys Swim team finishing in 5th place out of 18 schools in Division II and the Girls Swim Team placing 8th out of 20 schools in Division II. The senior leadership was vital to the success of both teams this past season and the outlook looks bright for the team next season.  

The Boys Ice Hockey team fought hard all season in every game they played, but after graduating 9 seniors from last year’s state finalist team, this was definitely a rebuilding year with a lot of younger players. The boys ice hockey team finished with a record of 5-13 and just missed the playoffs this season. Hopefully with off season workouts, the team should be back in the mix for next year. 

The Boys and Girls Indoor Track Teams had really good seasons and participated in the DI State Championships at Dartmouth College. The Girls Indoor Track team placed 5th out of 20 schools and the Boys team finished in 3rd place. All in all, a really positive season, the kids worked really hard. 

We also had some kids break some Portsmouth HS school indoor track records …

• Junior Lily Jenkins set a new school record in the 55m dash !
  • Senior Jake Haley set a new indoor school record in the 600m!
  • The Girls Relay Team of Avery Ruhnke, Lily Jenkins, Avery Timmerman, and Mariam Nada set a new Portsmouth High School record  in the Girls 4 X 2 relay !

Our Unified Basketball Team ended up the year undefeated and had some great performances throughout the season. The highlight however for the Unified Basketball Team was definitely the Alumni Basketball Game in December, where kids came back from the past 6 seasons ago to play against our current Clipper team. This was our first year playing the Alumni basketball game and now we will make that part of our schedule moving forward. The Unified Team also played the PHS Teachers and Staff in a game this year and that was also a lot of fun to be a part of. 

Our Varsity Wrestling Team had their best season ever, finishing 5th in Division II. In the Division II state championships, Portsmouth HS had 4 wrestlers in their weight class finals, with Senior Charlie Turner winning the state championship in the 220 lb. division and Sophomore Elijah Josey winning in the 195 lb. division. Portsmouth HS had six wrestlers advance to the Meet of Champions and both Charlie and Elijah competed in the New England Tournament in Rhode Island. 

Our Boys and Girls Alpine Ski Teams also experienced really good seasons this year, with the Boys Alpine Ski team finishing in 3rd place in Division I and the Girls Alpine Ski Team placing 5th in Division I. Both teams have a majority of their teams returning next year.