Will TikTok Be Banned In The United States?

Kate Lynch, PaperClip Staff/Writer

TikTok, a popular social media app owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, may be banned in the United States if they do not sell the app to another company, according to an article written by Jesse Yeung and Selina Wang, reporters for CNN.

Congress has been debating whether or not to enact this ban, and on March 23, 2023, they called the company’s CEO, Shou Chew, to testify before Congress as to how the company operates.

Despite how the app has gained so much popularity over the years, people don’t realize it may  collect large amounts of data on its users. TikTok claims the data resides in the United States and is not processed in China; however, there are doubts about this and it’s almost impossible to prove since it’s a private business, according to CNN.

“If the app was banned, I would just say, alright, see you later,” said Eric Chasse, a Math teacher at Portsmouth High School.

Although some people may not care if the app were banned, some may be upset.

“Even though it does have negative effects on people’s mental health, it brings kids our age a sense of connection and if it were banned, then it would take that aspect away,” said Natalia Federico, a senior at Portsmouth High School.

There are 150 million TikTok users in the United States, according to TikTok. According to an article from CNBC, there are many potential risks with processing user data in China and this is because the Chinese government may have access to Chinese companies’ data, per law. Risks of misuse of this data could expose the United States government and military secrets and there’s a possible risk to individual user safety and privacy.   

TikTok is banned in several countries like India, and the company has not confirmed whether they will sell the app yet, according to NBC. If the app was banned, some people would not be affected.

Like other social media apps, TikTok is a source of income for many people. Josh Richards is one of the users on the app that makes the most money, according to GOBankingRates. If the app were completely banned, people like him may have a hard time making money.

However, if a ban did happen, people may still be able to use the app. Many people have access to virtual private networks which are services that let people avert their internet connection through other networks, according to NBC. 

The United States has never banned an app throughout the whole country before, but the best chance to enact a ban would come from a bill presented by a group of senators part of both political parties, according to NBC. The United States does not know if a ban could even be enforced, as it is very technically challenging to ban an app.