Traveling Abroad Helps Broaden Your Mind

Kate Lynch, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Did you know that 97% of students who have traveled abroad have found employment within 12 months of graduation, according to a website called UCMerced? Traveling abroad can have many benefits. Experiencing what it is like in other countries can broaden your mind by helping you learn about other cultures. 

My parents have traveled abroad to many places. My dad lived in North Africa, and my mom has always liked traveling. Traveling is something my parents have instilled in us and I am very glad to have had the experiences that I did. I have traveled abroad to Canada, Ireland, France, and South Korea. I will never forget my experiences traveling abroad for the rest of my life.

Ireland was the first trip abroad that I took in 2014. My family and I went there around Christmas time. I am half Irish, so it was very special to learn about the culture. I had delicious food there as well. I had an Irish breakfast which consisted of eggs, toast, and sausage. I went to visit many of my relatives and got to see how they live. One of my relatives in particular owned a farm and it was interesting to see how different their life was from mine.

I traveled to France in 2016 as well. We stayed in Paris and it was interesting to learn about their culture. I visited the Eiffel Tower and other attractions like Arc De Triomphe. I indulged in baguettes and pastries like croissants. My mom went to France for a year in college to study abroad and stayed with a French family. Her knowledge about French grew and she later became well-versed in the language. When my family and I went to France, I felt more comfortable because my mom knew the language so we could understand people there easily.

The next trip abroad was to South Korea in 2017. My mom is from South Korea, so it was special for us. This was one of the most memorable trips I have ever had. We stayed in Seoul, South Korea’s capital. The tourist attractions amazed me. We saw Seoul Tower and a couple of palaces. The palaces helped me learn about South Korea’s fascinating history. The food was one of the things that stood out to me the most. I had delicious fried chicken, rice cakes, and a spicy chicken dish called chicken galbi. 

I recently visited Montréal, Canada in 2019. There, I had similar foods to what I had in France. I visited Old Montréal which had a nice aesthetic and I had a chance to gain knowledge about the cities’ history. 

My sister is currently in Spain studying abroad for college and I am going to visit her during April vacation. I have been learning Spanish since third grade and I plan to use my Spanish skills when I go there. I am really looking forward to experiencing another culture again.

Traveling abroad is not something you should take for granted. It can educate you about the world around you and help you build valuable skills for the future. For example, 84% of study abroad students found that because of their experience, they were able to build skills for the job market, according to UC Merced. Learning about other cultures can expand your knowledge.