Managing Finals Stress Through Effective Studying

What is the best way to study and succeed through stress?

Jordan Orr, PaperClip Staff

High School is all about focusing to prepare younger generations to face the world beyond school. It strives to prepare students academically and socially. In this process, high school is known to bring all types of stress to students. This stress comes in many forms due to finals and grades, fear of failure and the inability to stay ahead of schoolwork. 

While there are many aspects of stress derived from highschool, according to Imed Bouchrika, the head of content for Research.com, 31% of students’ top source of stress comes from finals and midterms.

Sarah Maloney, Portsmouth High School’s Class of 2025 advisor and a guidance counselor, said that with finals requiring extra effort of studying and preparing, some students have much more stress. She also mentioned that finals affect students in many different ways; some see it as another test while for other students it creates a lot of stress potentially increasing mental health concerns. 

Maloney explains that in order to study effectively it is most important that students need to make sure they are well rested, eat healthy, and drink plenty of water the day before. “It’s all about balance!” said Maloney. Physical and mental health are both crucial to maintain in times of stress. 

How can you manage this test stress? 

Study methods, attitude, and skills are all helpful in order to prepare for any type of test and prevent extra stress. There is a ripple effect after you create effective study habits, because this is used to obtain/study any information in your future. Practicing good study habits and staying organized in times of stress will set you up for success. 

“Once you can teach it, you know you’ve mastered it,” said Keri Feehan, a life science teacher at PHS,  when asked  what she finds most effective for finals and tests. Feehan said that quizzing yourself and being able to teach the subject is found as a helpful tactic. 

Putting yourself into a good environment to focus and study is key. “Some kids focus better sitting at a table, and some can’t focus at a table,”  said Feehan. Some tactics she added were having minty tea or gum, an environment with good/quality lighting, and to place yourself in an area where you are awake and present. 

Feehan said her most fitting method of studying was to go over notes immediately after and re-write these notes. Then go through the steps of re reading notes, review and make sure you can thoroughly make sure you can teach the will of the information you have. Feehan additionally mentioned how listening to instrumental and classical music was always beneficial for her as a personal focusing tactic. 

According to the Princeton Review, there are some tactics that could help sort out and reduce your school stress. Putting homework in the calendar, create a study space that fits your schedule, and make an action plan. 

“A study on distractions in the workplace found that it takes 25 minutes to return to what they were doing after being interrupted,” said Christine M. Stabler from Penn Medicine, Lancaster General Health, focusing on what good study habits you should incorporate into your routine. 

Some ways to avoid the temptations include: turning your phone on so it does not disturb, placing distracting technology in a desk drawer or backpack, and studying without your computer if you do not need it. 

Additionally, some of Stabler’s other strategies include engaging with the work material, spacing out your studying, eating smart snacks, exercising before studying, getting enough sleep, finding the right lighting/ work setting, and trying different environments. 

Queensland Government’s Work/life balance and stress management writes that “Finding a healthy balance between work and life is found to reduce stress levels, create greater focus and concentration, and higher levels of satisfaction”. 

If you are in need of study tips and assistance, speak to a teacher about how to manage your stress before it becomes overwhelming.