The Importance of Learning a Language & Experiencing a New Culture

2019 Paris Trip

Jeanette Macdonald

2019 Paris Trip

Natasha Raguenaud-Pearce, PaperClip Staff/Writer

At Portsmouth High School, learning a world language is not mandatory; however, most four-year universities expect at least 2 to 3 years of language credits. PHS offers French, Spanish, Italian, Latin, Greek, and Chinese from levels 1-AP. 

One of the highlights of studying a language at PHS is being able to go on the trips abroad that are organized every few years. They provide once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to experience other cultures with teachers, peers, and friends. 

Jeanette Macdonald, who has taught French at PHS for the last 15 years after teaching 2 years at Portsmouth Middle School, shared, “I love French! I love the culture, the language, and being able to share it with kids.” It was during a year exploring France as a student that she decided she wanted to be able to introduce others to the country’s beauty. 

The PHS trips abroad take place either during February or April vacation, and in past years, the destinations have included Marrakesh, Morocco; Paris, France; and Rome, Italy. There also was an exchange program where students would live with native families for 5 days, which many claimed was a highlight of their trip.

During the week abroad, the classes visit museums, restaurants, and other classic destinations where they are able to immerse themselves in the culture and practice the language they have been learning. Many studies show that immersion is beneficial to learning and mastering a foreign language, and these trips help provide that experience for students who might not travel otherwise. 

“Seeing students who are shy in the classroom open up while being put in real-life situations” is one of Macdonald’s favorite parts of chaperoning the trips. She says that when coming back from being abroad with her students, there was a notable difference in how “worldly” they are. 

One of the less appealing aspects of these trips abroad for students is the no-phone rule. Most students would want to stay connected to their devices while away from their friends but “Giving up your phone lets you fully live in the moment and absorb the culture” explains Macdonald. Digital cameras are permitted on the trips so that you can still capture memories. 

When asked about what her favorite part about doing the trips is, Macdonald replied, “Seeing them use the language that I taught them.” There’s a big difference between speaking the language in class to having real-life conversations with natives in a different country. 

PHS students who participate in these trips abroad are well on their way to becoming bilingual. Speaking two languages has many benefits including understanding different cultures, higher SAT scores, and a better chance of getting into the university of their choice.