A Decade to Remember: 2010-2019

Gabriella Mastro, PHS PaperClip Writer

Wednesday, January 1st marked the beginning of a new year, and the end of a decade. For teens, this was their first full decade completed, which brought many pop culture moments and world news events to the surface. See major events from the past 10 years below! 

April 2010– Apple released the first iPad. Their ever-growing empire was solidified when they released this handy tool. 

September 2010– The “famous” meat dress, worn by pop singer, Lady Gaga, appeared at the 2010 VMAs causing a national mania. Later, Gaga reflected upon the dress saying it’s purpose was to protest. 

April 2011– In April of 2011, the world got to witness the royal union of Prince William and Kate Middleton. This wedding was the first major royal wedding since the union of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. 

July 2011– A worldwide sensation came to a close in the summer of 2011 when the last installment of the Harry Potter series debuted, closing the curtain on an international treasure. 

July 2012– “Gangnam Style,” a song released by artist PSY, became the number one song with a dance that which became a national phenomenon. 

Summer 2012– The song of the summer “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen hits its peak and becomes a national fad. 

October 2012– Malala Yousafzai, just 15 at the time, got shot in the head on her way home from school in retaliation for her activism. Later, Malala went on to become the youngest person ever to win a Nobel Peace Prize, and one of the most well-known activists of her time. 

Fall 2012– Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast in the Atlantic Ocean, killing 285 people. It was the costliest hurricane in the USA until Hurricane Harvey and Maria in 2017. 

May 2013– Edward Snowden, a former CIA worker releases US government information, causing a scandal. 

July 2014– The Ice Bucket Challenge, a challenge to raise money for the disease ALS goes viral taking over the summer. 

June 2015– Same-sex marriage is legalized in the US, a big day in history. 

May 2016– Harambe, a 17 year old gorilla at Cincinnati Zoo is shot and killed shortly after a child falls into the gorilla’s pen, causing grief everywhere for the gorilla, birthing a new meme. 

2016– Hamilton, the award winning Broadway show created by Lin Manuel Miranda acquires a cult-like following, becoming one of the most well-known musicals to hit the stages. 

November 2016– Donald Trump is elected the 45th President of the United States. 

January 2017– The Women’s March, taking place the day after President Trump’s inauguration, occurred, creating the largest ever single-day protest. The goals were women’s issues, among LGBTQ, and others. 

2018– Multiple mass shootings all over the country occur, raising, yet again, the topic of gun control in our country. 

Spring 2019– The case where many are facing “criminal conspiracy to influence undergraduate admissions decisions at several top American Universities.”Among those involved are: actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman. 

This decade has been one to remember. With many trends, and news, the 2010s created history. 

Here’s to another great decade!