Opportunities After High School

Opportunities After High School

Owen Rand, Writer for PHSPaperClip

What colleges are you looking at? What do you want to major in? Have you been accepted by any colleges yet?  These are just a few of the many questions heard by students throughout high school. In today’s day and age, parents, teachers and even friends are programmed to believe that college is a must after high school when in reality, there are many other options. 

One option out there is to attend a trade school. Trade school involves hands-on, technical education with the focus of teaching a specialized skill. Here are some of the jobs in high demand and on the rise. 

• Web Developers- projected growth is 15% from 2018-2028, a median annual salary of around $69,430 with the top 10% of developers making as high as $130,000. Many courses are offered to get into this profession.                                 
  • Electricians- projected growth is 9% from 2016-2026, a median annual salary of around $55,190 with the top 10% of electricians making more than $94,000. This job requires extensive training and licensing. You must be over the age of 18. Electrician apprenticeships consist of 576 hours of classroom instruction and 8,000 hours of on the job training.                                                                                                                                                                                          
  • Plumbers- projected growth is 16% from 2016-2028, a median annual salary of around $53,910 with the top 10% of plumbers making $94,000. Apprenticeship required, which is a mix of classroom instruction and paid on the job training that totals 2,000 hours. Must be over the age of 18. This job requires licensing. 
  • HVAC Technician- Heating, Ventilation, Air and Conditioning, projected growth is 15% from 2016-2026, a median annual salary of $47,610 with the top 10% making around $77,000. Must complete a 3-5 year paid apprenticeship, that consist of classroom and on-site learning. 

Professional Korey Rugh, Turbocam inc., machinist/balance technician commented “Trades are a great thing based on the fact that our society will always need well-trained electricians, carpenters, plumbers, etc… I learn something new everyday through working with my hands and being able to explore.”