To Be Inked or Not to Be Inked…

Sophies+Tattoo

Sophie’s Tattoo

Caleb Begley, PHS Paperclip Writer

Tattoo’s have been around for thousands of years, but only recently in the past 100 years have they developed a stigma. And while this stigma exists, they still continue to gain popularity, especially among the younger generations. Since most of the seniors at Portsmouth High School can legally purchase and receive tattoos there has been somewhat of a rise in tattooed students at PHS. This has fueled the conversation throughout the student body and faculty on how they feel about tattoos, and whether or not they should be accepted.

A teacher at Portsmouth High School, Mr. Drukker, is a prime example of someone who is opposed to younger generations tattooing themselves. This is because he has personal experience; when he was 19, he received a tattoo of a rose. He explained to me that “Kids from your generation are very quick to get tattoos, especially large tattoos that they very well could regret later in their life.” He thinks that 18 is too young to be tattooed because your chances of getting something you may possibly not like when you’re 50 is too high.

A different perspective on this topic comes from Sophie Hall, a senior at PHS. She got an anxiety awareness symbol, a sign that has a lot of personal meaning for Sophie. Her view on tattoos is clear: “If it is something important to you, you know it always will be, and you know you want that something on your skin, then there is no reason to not get that tattoo.” When getting this tattoo she said she was certain that it would always mean something to her, therefore, she was not afraid of regretting down the line in life.

Tattoos should not be something decided by your parents, friends, or society. In the end, tattoos are a very particular type of art or symbolism and the only person who can decide their significance is the one who gets one.