Lunch Food Fun

Maddison Merrow, PaperClip Staff/Writer

At Portsmouth High School (PHS), there is a variety of things that are offered to students for lunch every day, most of the time it is chicken nuggets and french fries.

Along with that, there is always a section for the “food of the day,” which contains something different every day. Served with the main portion of the meal is a small portion of fruits or vegetables if a student chooses to add that to their tray, and a drink (usually chocolate milk, strawberry milk, or just plain milk).

Lunches on average cost $3.75, and if students have extra money they can buy themselves waters, juices, and other snacks, such as cookies or rice crispy treats. Students can even buy themselves different meals, for instance, there is a line specifically for a salad bar.

As an addition to the lunch and extras that people pay for every day, once a week there is a special line just for Domino’s Pizza; this takes place every Tuesday during the lunch block.

As a student who gets school lunch every day, the variety of lunches is great, but it’s the same variety almost every day.

The most popular lunch item in the cafeteria tends to be the pizza that is only served on Tuesdays. Maybe the cafeteria staff should look at what people are getting every day and what is sold the most, and make that a more common food every day.

Another idea to change the lunches is to possibly take a vote from students and take ideas from the students and make those changes occasionally.