Why Join Wellness Club?

Do you ever feel stressed? Do you sometimes feel anxious or maybe even depressed? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then wellness club might be the spot for you.

Tabitha DuBosque, Paperclip Writer

Many students suffer from a mental health illness. In fact, 1 in 5 students aged 13-18 suffers from some sort of mental illness. Wellness club focuses on mental health as well as physical health. This is a helpful atmosphere for students who are struggling to have a place to talk and feel safe.

Wellness club is a great place to figure out why teens feel the way they do. It’s a place for students who feel like they don`t have people to go to or a student that feels alone in a way.

Portsmouth High School wants their students to feel safe and cared about when they’re in school. Health and wellness tie into everything in life. If you aren’t physically healthy, it can take a toll on your self-confidence, thus making your mental wellness decline.

If you don’t have a healthy mental state, it can be very hard to focus on school and get good grades, which affects your future. It all comes together in the end, so making mental and physical health a priority in your life is extremely crucial.

It’s important to know the signs of needing to seek help when it comes to how you are doing mentally. If you feel like you are often anxious, depressed, or hopeless, you need to talk to someone about it. Though it may seem that people won’t understand what you’re going through, they will. You just need to give them a chance. Wellness club is a place where students can feel safe and comfortable, and it is worth giving it a try.

“Mental health is very important,” says student Kayla Buckley, “People do not put themselves first the majority of the time when it should be a priority to do so. I think it is a fantastic idea and can really help students who are going through hard times in their lives, mentally and physically.” Buckley said she has struggled with stress and pressure throughout her school years but learned that putting her health, physically and mentally first, has made her school life much better.