Is Legal Marijuana Putting NH Students at Risk?

David Ball, Staff Editor

New Hampshire is a state stuck between two legal recreational marijuana states, Massachusetts and Maine. We are also bordered by Vermont, which has just recently voted to move the bill for recreational marijuana to the next step. What does this mean for our state?

Our marijuana bill has been pushed down every time it has gone through the legislature, but is that what we want? With New Hampshire being a non-legal state it creates a point where people could be easily stopped at the borders. Once people that have legal marijuana (from a legal state) cross into a non-legal state, all rules of legal marijuana are gone. The non-legal states can prosecute you under their state laws on marijuana.

More illegal drug dealing will happen because of the availability of quality and large quantities of legal marijuana in others states that can be easily be brought to a non legal state to be sold. In an article online (mainepublic.org/)  a pound of marijuana can be sold for $1,500-$1,800 in a legal state. Then, people will go sell it for $3,000 in a non legal marijuana state to make the most money. This will create more and more drug dealers in non legal states because of their profit margin people can make.

Once all these drug dealers start getting caught, it will be putting more and more people in jail and giving more and more people criminal backgrounds for an offense that isn’t an offense in other states. This creates a problem within our school systems because there are sadly some high school student that sell marijuana and this big profit margin could attract young adults into a dangerous path of drug dealing and possibly ending up in prison.

A NH police officer responded to some important questions about the issue:

Why hasn’t NH legalized marijuana?

“It’s an awful idea. My main reason for this is because it is bad for kids that are still mentally developing” says Officer Rob Munson of the Portsmouth police department. He also went onto say that “I understand adults that are developed but its just not good for kids at a young age”.

What will happen if NH legalized marijuana?

“The benefits would be freeing up court cases but the downside is that kids see it as a good thing, and it’s also making people violently sick with marijuana infused foods”.

What will happen if marijuana becomes legal in NH?

“There’s no question it will become legal, but a sinister motive is behind it– the tax money–which is a big misunderstanding.”

Is the legalization of marijuana going to affect NH school systems?

“Yes it will and already has. There’s been an uptake in marijuana edibles in our schools and it because of states around of legalizing it”