What to Expect for The 2023 Girls Lacrosse Season

Brianna Clarke, PaperClip Staff/Writer

Last year the Portsmouth High School girls lacrosse team excelled with a record of 16-2 and taking home the Division II State Championship. This year the girls lacrosse team is moving up to Division I allowing for more competition. 

To prepare for the season the girls have been doing skills and fundamental work during the winter. Head coach JoJo Curro has been working with her assistant Erin as well as the new JV coach Mo addressing program goals and how they wish to accomplish them. 

The captains of the team are junior Annie Parker and seniors Avery Ruhnke, Charlotte Marston, and Maggie Parker.. Coach Curro says, “They have strong communication skills and love the sport. I think this group will do a great job leading the team to another successful season.”

Coach Curro’s goals for this season are to play competitively and at their speed every game, to create strong team bonds on and off the field, and for players to put their full efforts into every game and practices to continue getting better individually and as a team. She is very excited about the challenge moving up to Division I and thinks that the team is ready. “We have a strong program and I believe we have what it takes to compete against the best. “ 

Each year Coach Curro is excited to see how the team will be and what the new players will add. Only being a couple practices in since tryouts she already has a good feeling about how the season is going to go. She and the team are excited to get the season started and play against some great competition. 

Since we are DI I believe the teams will be more challenging but I have a positive mindset that we will do well as we have a very strong team,” says Martha Hyland, a PHS junior.

The season is getting ready to start and the girls are working hard preparing for upcoming games. The girls have a scrimmage against Kennebunk High School on April 7 at home. Their first game is April 10 against Pinkerton Academy, also at home.