PHS Takes on Mental Health

Reilly Velez, PaperClip Staff/Writer

The importance of mental health in adults and teens is very crucial. At the start of this new school year here at Portsmouth High School, the PHS staff began to recognize the rise of mental health struggles and do their best job to spread awareness around the school.

In order to do this, teachers and staff members have been helping students get involved by making posters to hang around the school and inviting guest speakers to talk about their own stories and struggles with mental health.

It is estimated that 16.2 million adults in the United States, or 6.7 percent of American adults, have had at least one major depressive episode in a given year. Senior guidance counselor, Melanie Wolf, gave me much insight on the rise of mental health struggles, while she has been a counselor at PHS. She explains that, “having anxiety or depression can impact your ability to thrive academically and school can put too much pressure on kids to succeed.”

PHS has taken action to better students’ and staffs’ knowledge on the importance of mental health, by bringing in a guest speaker to share his story to the entire school. In hopes that it would educate them on why someone struggling with a mental health issue, may feel differently or have a harder time exceeding in basic activities.

After much research and talking with Wolf, it appears that the most familiar forms of mental health disorders people face are depression and anxiety. To elaborate on that Wolf says, “anxiety has risen greatly in my 12 years of being here,” and only one-third of those people suffering from an anxiety disorder are receiving help.2 The more students and staff know about it, the more they will be able to reach out and help somebody who is struggling.

At Portsmouth High School, everyone is willing to help, whether it be a teacher, guidance counselor or therapist. There are many options the school provides for resources including, groups students can attend once a week during a block or an individual specialist that anyone can be set up with by a guidance counselor. It is proved that the most common way to help someone who is struggling is therapy or medication. Other ways people can boost their mood is trying to get more exercise, eat more nutrient-rich foods and spend less time consumed in technology.

PHS is doing their part in taking action to help those who may be struggling. Are you?