Cold Weather A-“frost” the East Coast

Kai Dennett, Paperclip Staff/Writer

The east coast has been quite frosty recently. An example of this being over New Years weekend some of the average daily lows in Portsmouth were close to -5 degrees fahrenheit. It was so cold in other places around the same time that some ski mountains in Maine, such as Sunday River, closed due to the freezing temperatures.  Even the state on the tail end of this cold wave, Florida, received large amounts of ice and snow.

In case you’re wondering, this recent wave of freezing temperatures has been caused by arctic air. The air came from the polar vortex which is located near the North Pole. A warming of this polar vortex is said to be the force that drove the cold air down. This air is only supposed to cause freezing temperatures for about the next 4 days.

I asked a few local Portsmouth High School students for their thoughts on this recent wave of freezing temperatures. Will Hess, a freshman, said that he likes the cold when I asked his thoughts about the recent weather. I later asked Nick Norris another freshman about his thoughts on the cold and he replied “I can’t say I’m a fan.” Finally I asked Leo Swainbank, also a freshman, about his thoughts on the weather he replied by saying “ I’ve never met a weather man that I trust, I’ve never met a weatherman.”