Would a uniform help or hurt PHS?

An interview with students and staff

Elizabeth Nee, PaperClip Staff

Many high schools around the world require students to wear a uniform. Many schools believe that a uniform would tackle the bullying problems in school and would erase any distractions surrounding clothing in class. The idea is that students would focus less on what they wear and more on their academics.

I asked a few students and staff members to share how they would feel if a uniform was put into place.

Karis Hakala (grade 10) believes that uniforms would make the behavior in the classrooms worse:“If we got uniforms all of a sudden people would spend their time complaining about the uniform and not paying attention in class,” Hakala says.

Math teacher Mrs. Waite says “I don’t agree with them, I think it limits the kids ability to express themselves.” In addition Jackson Bloom (grade 10) agrees saying, “What will the kids do if they can’t wear supreme?”

It is obvious that most students would not want a uniform so they can show their individuality, but it is interesting to see who agrees with the uniform idea even in the smallest way. Hakala believes that it would make mornings much easier, but does not think her education would improve.  

The “School Uniform Project” was an experiment led by a public school in Baltimore in 1988. They tried school uniforms in public schools to see what would happen. Many students claimed they didn’t like the uniform at first, but they saw everyone else wearing it so they like it now.

The cost savings can be considerable. For instance, a two-piece navy-blue jumper and light-blue blouse for girls or navy-blue trousers with light-blue shirt for boys at Cherry Hill School in Baltimore cost about $30.” – The CS Monitor

Uniforms have their good and bad sides. It depends on the situation at the school, and I don’t think Portsmouth High School qualifies for needing a uniform.