Love Prevails When It Is Needed Most

Grace Griffin, PHS Paperclip Journalist

In the days that followed the largest mass shooting in United States history, people came together across the country to offer support and healing.

Thousands gathered at a candlelit vigil held on the Las Vegas Strip on Thursday night, October 5th, to honor Charleston Hartfield, an off-duty Las Vegas police officer who was killed in the massacre. Hartfield was one of the 59 people killed on Sunday night at the Route 91 Harvest Festival.

“It brought us together like never before. We’ve come together and showed that we are not going to be stopped by a tragedy,” Sean Scott stated, a state parole and probation officer and attendee of the Las Vegas Strip Candlelit Vigil, about the shooting.

In Nashville, Tennessee, country stars sang in tribute to the victims. Singer Eric Church wrote and dedicated a song, “Why Not Me,” to the victims and survivors of the shooting. Keith Urban, Vince Gill, Amy Grant, and more took the stage in Nashville to honor the victims.

Survivors of the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando gathered to offer support to the Las Vegas Victims. Many gathered at the Pulse Memorial to show their support. Pulse survivors say they plan to meet with grief counselors to learn how to best help Las Vegas survivors, and will then visit the survivors.

Robin Henderson, chief executive of Providence Behavioral Health, commented, “People are going to feel a lot of different things. For some people this is going to bring back prior trauma, especially for veterans. For some people, this is going to bring about feelings of absolute helplessness and anxiety.”

Michele Hart, a licensed clinical social worker in Utah with more than 20 years’ experience in the treatment of trauma and stressor-related disorders, says immediate help is essential. After emotional trauma of this scale, it will take, on average, eight months for people to get back to a normal sleeping routine.

Another candlelit vigil was held at the University of Las Vegas Nevada to honor the victims. The shooting took place just two miles from the campus and hundreds gathered on Monday to mourn and provide comfort to one another.

Huntington beach residents hosted a vigil for people to heal as 28 year-old Andrea Castilla, a Huntington Beach resident, died in the shooting. 200 people attended the vigil, including several who were present at the shooting.

In Las Vegas, a gong was sounded 59 times for every life lost.