Clippers Take Tough Loss Against Central

Acadia Momm-White, Contributor

PORTSMOUTH —  Saturday proved to be a challenge that the Portsmouth Clippers weren’t able to face as they competed against Manchester Central on their home field. The final score of 40-20 was secured by a couple late touchdowns by the Clippers. The weather was bleak, and the bleachers – usually packed with a rowdy high school fan section – looked rather sparse for the 1:30 game time.

The Clippers managed just 242 yards of offense. Central quarterback Alex Hawkom passed for 282 yards and four touchdowns. Quarterback Cody Graham was under fire in the 2 quarters he played, completing 8 of his 16 passes, for 100 yards a touchdown and an interception.

The game began with four touchdowns by Central right out of the gate. There was a glimmer of hope as the Clippers scored their only first-half touchdown on a pass from Graham to Hunter Adams – a spectacular catch over the helmet of a Central defender to make the score 20-6. However, by the end of the half, Central has taken away Portsmouth’s momentum by driving downfield for a touchdown with 24 seconds to go, which made it 32-6 at halftime.

The second half continued without Graham, Adams, Conner, and several starting players as Coach Brian Pafford attempted to preserve his starting line under the heavy fire of Central’s offense. By the end of the game, backup quarterback Jack Madden had thrown for two touchdowns (to Cole Brahms and Jared Schlieper), and Central had scored again to leave the final score at 40-20.

“We need to come together and work as a team if we need to start winning,”

— said Will Conner, starting running back for the Clippers.

Issues with coaches and players among the team have created tensions which are impacting the way the they are working together. Conner continued, “Quarterbacks are getting frustrated because no one is there to block for them, and they’re getting hit.”

The Clippers will be working hard this coming week to move past the disappointing loss and to prepare for another tough game against one of the top teams in the division. Exeter is 3-2, with losses to first place team Winnacunnet and third place Goffstown. The game is this Friday against on the Clipper turf.