Portsmouth High School Student Selected for USA Volleyball Team

Liv Brown, PHS PaperClip writer

Eli Omahen, 2016-17 freshman at Portsmouth High School, was selected to be part of the USA Volleyball High Performance Team. She will train in Colorado this summer for 9 days at the University of Colorado. This team’s focus point is to help improve weakness areas and play with girls from all over the country to get different exposure.

Omahen is a 15 year old from Portsmouth New Hampshire. She was born in Queens New York and lived there for five years before moving to Portsmouth in 2006. Volleyball is her main sport, and she has been playing this sport competitively since she was in 6th grade. As a freshman starter on the varsity volleyball team at PHS, she has put a lot of time and effort into improving her skills. PHS teammate Georgia Dickinson weighed in on Omahen’s performance on the court: “[Omahen] is a solid player, very consistent. You just know that when you put her in, she will score some points.”

Outside of school, she is an essential player on a travel AAU volleyball team, Seacoast Volleyball Club, based out of Dover, NH. Omahen has traveled to many places to play, including Philadelphia, Indianapolis and Minneapolis.  

Omahen shared her future goals which include playing volleyball for a college as well as having the full college experience and also hopes to work with children with disabilities.